The Annual State Conference of the Illinois Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) again proved it was willing to take on the tough topics faced by practice managers and their staffs. With anarray of skilled presenters who covered a wide range of topics, IL MGMA members again had the opportunity to sharpen their skill sets and stay current in the complex world of a physician’s office.Topics and their presenters included:
- “Avoiding and Handling Dishonesty and Misconduct in the Workplace” and “Attracting and Retaining Top Physicians, Midlevel Providers and Staff” – Ericka Adler and Lucy Zielinski. Ms. Adler is a partner in the law firm of Kamensky Rubenstein Hochman & Delott, LLP, Chicago. Ms. Zielinski is vice president of The Camden Group, a practice management consulting firm, Chicago.
- “10 Mistakes We Keep Making As Practice Managers” – Kyle Matthews. Mr. Matthews is CEO of Cardiovascular Associates of Mesa (AZ), PC that has brought together 12 practices and over 100 physicians into a consortium of cost savings, strategy and quality management.
- “Champion’s Code: Lessons of Ethics & Accountability from the Sports World” – Ross Bernstein. Mr. Berstein is a best-selling author of nearly 50 sports books and an award-winning peak performance business speaker.
- “Building Highly Effective Teams: The Role of Diversity in Team Development” and “Is Your Practice a Government Target? Pre-Audit Risk Assessment” – Frank Cohen, MBA, MPP. Mr. Cohen is Director of Analytics and Business Intelligence for Doctors Management, Knoxville TN.
- “PQRS/Quality Reporting: How to Prevent Your Reimbursement from Tumbling Down“ – Chad Beste, CEBS. Mr. Beste is a partner in the firm of PBC Advisors, LLC, a consulting firm to healthcare professionals.
- “Meaningful Use: Understanding the Phases, Regulations and Audits” and “The Changing Patient” – Nancy Babbitt, FACMPE. Ms. Babbitt is a nationally recognized expert in EHR, IT and general practice management.
- “Going In and Coming Out“ – Steven M. Harris. Mr. Harris is a partner in the law firm of McDonald Hopkins LLC, Chicago.
As always, the conference was masterfully orchestrated by Mindy Zaubi, Executive Director of IL MGMA, in conjunction with President Barry Mathews, DC, CPA, CMPE; CEO, Midwest Orthopaedic Institute, Sycamore IL.
The Exhibit Hall offered 36 exhibitors representing professional service providers, vendors and others whowere important underwriters of the conference. The professionals staffing the booths were all knowledgeable and ready to answer even the most probing questions.
The irrepressible Ross Bernstein, master showman.
Photos courtesy of MGMA